Monday, June 22, 2009

My nostalgy knows no limits...

And indeed it doesn't! The reason for this post is that I'm just so undecided about what to to with my WoW situation. I have all, and I mean it all options to raid hardcore. I've got good guild, full of skilled people that have a dedication to raid 24/7. That dedication's what's killing me. The thing about our guild is that (especially if 3.2 patch is coming at the end of summer) we will almost 100% still raid 5 days out of 7 (and 10-mans other 2 days) for hard modes. We've got quite some of them already, but Mimiron's gonna take his toll, of that I'm sure. Others are not that much of a problem to be honest, but Mimiron and then Algalon (if we're that good yeh!) will require weeks of wiping. Well, not Algalon since he's on 1 hr despawn timer, but Mimiron will.

And here is where my uncertainty begins. I've got only 1 week and it's my last exam. I'm not really concerned about that, but I'll have 2 jobs during summer, and even now I can just see I'll be flooded for first couple of weeks. Flooded with work that is. And the few hours I'll have free I really wish to spend them with my IRL colleagues, not in WoW. Or, not raiding hardcore and become a zombie.

The thing that has arised is that if I continue raiding (and I haven't raided almost a thing in last 2 weeks or so), I should really get 2 raiding professions on my hunter (enchanting + LW), and I'd trade herbalism and skinning on my alt. And the idea was to transfer my 70 priest from Frostwhisper as well. She already got herbalism so I'd just have to level skinning, which'd be fast, and get her to 77. And I got a promise from a friend he'd even give me the 5k gold for epic flyer, since I'm so clueles at making money.

But that won't be the case. I'm really deciding about going to casual or even social status in the guild. Reason being that for the free evenings (I'll have many of those, whole July & September) I just don't want to raid intensely for 4 hours, and during weekends farm all the neccesary mats. Last time I had it much the same, but it was a bit better, I was not in such a hardcore guild, and it was only a month or so.

After transfer I thought it'd really be joy playing with IRL mates, and to a degree it is. It is awesome, I don't deny that. But I think I'll just go for casual. I know guild won't like it, and neither will my irl friends, but hopefully they'll join me :P. This raiding thing is too much of an effort for mere mortals. I mean if I had no job, I'd prolly easily go for it. Now though, I'd rather spend some evenings outside, go on some trips etc., you know, after all even if I'd ever have an Ironbound Proto-Drake, it doesn't really matter. New mounts will come anyway.

Hopefully if there is somebody from guild reading this, he won't take it as an offence. I really wanted to experience Ulduar first-hand, you know, when you are together with 24 other people pulling your guts out to kill that boss, and it was an amazing experience. Besides I'll still be available for raids, and I'll always be prepared and do my best if I come. I just don't want the responsibility to HAVE TO raid 4 nights a week or so.

The second thing is that I really miss Frostwhisper, the Order of Azeroth is just a thing of a lifetime. I miss playing with great people for the sake of playing and socializing with them, or even just chatting about random nonsense. It doesn't afford any in-game achievement or adrenaline rush like when you down a hard mode, but it's much more personally rewarding and a thing you'll definately remember. It's the point of WoW, which is still, after all, MMO. And now after so much raiding (okay, I admit lots of people raid way more, but I guess I'm just not the no-life kind of guy in this way), I just feel WoW is my 3rd job and a routine that, except the thrill of progress, doesn't reward anything else.

So yeah... that's why I won't transfer my priest to Ghostlands but try to level her to 80... and in doing so, refresh some connections and social bonds with people on Frostwhisper... while still be available to my guild on Ghostlands for some evenings. If I'll have more time I could also actually level my 2nd character, a mage which has almost full heirloom gear, and he can be a skinner&herbalist then. Plus even after this, I'll be more free in organizing my time.

So um yeah, that's about it. I'll see how things go, but that's my current situation and plan. Frostwhisper, I'll come back.


.... now you see why my nostalgy knows no limits :)


Some people will say that you sometimes have to leave past behind, but I just can't. I'm just too afraid I'll eventually lose touch with people from Frostwhisper if I leave them alone for so long (I'd never play with them again if I decided to leave past behind), and that would seem such a wasted opportunity for me. Don't know why, just have that gut feeling. I'm one of the few believers that do think online "friends" can be a bit more than the guy you're raiding with.

No comments:

Post a Comment